I’ve been expanding my horizons as my readers may have noticing and have engaged in other groups that my fellow food and wine writer friends are a part of. This month our French #winophiles group are discovering a couple Burgundy producers, also known as Bourgogne, that also hold estates also in Oregon. You can read more via the preview on this theme by our host LM Archer. I’ll be sharing a special pairing with a Pinot Noir from Domaine Drouhin.
Domaine Drouhin has a history that started in France over a century ago. Joseph Drouhin had situated himself in Beaune in 1880 and established Maison Joseph Drouhin. Almost 100 years later the family generations have established Domaine Drouhin in the late 1980’s within the AVA appellation of Dundee Hills in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. As their website states they have a “French soul” with roots in Burgundy, but on Oregon soil. Domaine Drouhin is spread over 235 acres with 130 under vine that are certified sustainable. Just as in Burgundy, Domaine Drouhin’s focus is on Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes.
The 2017 Domaine Drouhin Laurene Pinot Noir I’m featuring today celebrates the winery’s 30th anniversary and the 26th vintage of this wine. It is considered their flagship wine that is named after the daughter of Veronique Boss-Drouhin, head winemaker of the estate. The wine is made of 100% estate grown Pinot Noir. If your perception of Pinot Noir is typically a lighter bodied red, this wine will make you look at this grape in a whole new light. A red with great structure and ripe fruits of blueberries, blackberries and cherry with herbal notes. Pinot Noir from Oregon has always been a preference of mine and Domaine Drouhin’s Laurene Pinot Noir is now another fan favorite. ABV 14.1% SRP $75
- Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm tells of Countries United Through Food and Wine.
- Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla matches Galette au Chou + 2017 Résonance Pinot Noir.
- Terri at Our Good Life pairs Resonance Pinot Noir and Roasted Pork Loin.
- Lynn from Savor the Harvest posts Oregon Pinot Noir With a Burgundian Heart – Domaine Drouhin Laurène.
- Linda at My Full Wine Glass shares Oregon PN for a PNW holiday meal: A Résonance.
- Robin from Crushed Grape Chronicles has a discovery: Découverte! Pinot Noir from Oregon’s Dundee Hills and Mediterranean Salmon.
- David from Cooking Chat posts Braised Moroccan Chicken Thighs with Oregon Pinot.
- Jane from Always Ravenous offers an Oregon Pinot Noir Paired with Braised Chicken Thighs, Blackberries, and Fennel Purée.
- Melanie from Wining With Mel writes New World meets Old World: Oregon’s Résonance Pinot Noir Paired with Beef Bourguignon.
- Liz from What’s In That Bottle gives us a Taste of the 45th Parallel.
- Jeff from Food Wine Click! tells us about Louis Jadot on Both Sides of the Pond.
- Payal from Keep the Peas offers Burgundy via Oregon.
- Nicole at Somm's Table has a Burgundy vs. Oregon Showdown with Drouhin Wines.
- Jill at L’Occasion covers Bourgogne’s Western Vineyards: Crafting Pinot Noir in Oregon.
- L.M. Archer shares life À Table with Domaine Drouhin Oregon and Résonance Wines.