Rias Baixes is located in northwestern Spain in the Galicia region, which is also known as “Green Spain”. The Rias Baixes DO (denominacion de origin) was established in 1988 and consists of 5 subzones that Rias Baixes Wines goes into depth on each one on their website.
- Val do Salnes
- Condado do Tea
- O Rosal
- Ribera de Ulla
You can find many other grapes in Rias Baixes, produced on a smaller scale in comparison to the dominant one, albarino. Those include treixadura, loureiro, caino blanco, torrontes and godello. The Rias Baixes region and all its winemaking zones lie either right on the coast or pretty close to it. It's a rather cool climate with abundant rain, sunshine and the soils are full of minerals.
|Copyright of Rias Baixes Wines|
Below is a list of all the wines sampled. The tasting was only an hour and as you can imagine it doesn't leave much time to cover each wine so I'm sharing with you my top 3 favorites of the night and a list of everything tried. The #1 choice for the night for me, and what seemed many others as well of the group, was the 2016 Pazo Senorans. It was a lush, rich wine. Many in the tasting compared this to muscadet. Following that I would choose the 2015 Pazo de San Mauro for it's tropical fruit, florality and honeyed notes. Lastly, the 2015 Altos de Torona. Full of yellow ripe fruit and florals.
Sub-region: Val do Salnés
- 2015 Condes de Albarei Albariño Rias Baixes, SRP: $15
- 2015 Vionta Albariño Rias Baixas, SRP: $15
- 2015 Martin Codax Albariño Rias Baixas, SRP: $16.99
- 2016 Pazo Senorans Albariño Rias Baixas, SRP: $25
- 2015 Pazo de San Mauro Albariño Rias Baixas, SRP: $17
- 2016 Señorío de Rubiós Robaliño Albariño Rias Baixas, SRP: $18
- 2015 Valminor Albariño Rias Baixas, SRP: $18.99
- 2015 Bodegas Terras Gauda Abadia de San Campio Albariño Rias Baixas, SRP $19.99
- 2015 Altos de Torona Albariño Sobre Lias Rias Baixas, SRP $14
- 2015 Santiago Ruiz Albariño Rias Baixas , SRP: $20
You can experience the tasting yourself as well as Snooth has it up online: Rias Baixes Virtual Tasting.
*All wines were provided as samples, but opinions are my own. Information sourced from Rias Baixes Wines